You’re in good company.
Stephanie “Be” Buelna
Investor, BUENA Founder
- Named by Business Insider as the “Entrepretraveler”
- Traveled to over 250 destinations
- Worked with over 100 brands in tourism and lifstyle through her media companies Lead and TravelBreak
- Served as an advisory board member in digital marketing for Visit California, the official board of tourism for the State of California
- Holds a B.A. in Sociology & a Minor in Global Studies from UCLA and has ten years of marketing experience
- First generation Mexican-American. Native Spanish speaker.
- Terribly afraid of drowning
- Developed an Android application at HHMI to analyze macromolecules and nanoparticles for his research’s biochemical purposes
- Formerly engineering and research at Roche Molecular Systems, Howard Hughes Medical Center, and David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- B.S. Biochemistry from UCLA with extensive coursework in Computer Science
- Spent a summer in Kansas to learn to be a farmer; baffled he never got a return offer
- Holds a B.S. from UCLA in Mathematics
- Completed a certificate in System’s Analysis through UCLA Extension where he took courses covering Database Systems, Computer Networks, Machine Learning, Android Development, and Software Development Practices
- Researched solar panels and wrote Python programs to model the effect atmospheric haze had on power output
- Built 5 apps during his time at UCLA
- Finally getting “good” at guitar…6 years in
- Founded a startup, Closr, that was part of the StartupUCLA Summer Accelerator
- Devised an indoor navigation algorithm for one of his startups
- Former Software Developer for UCLA Radio
- UCLA B.S. in Computational Mathematics
- Studied abroad in Rome for a summer
- Can’t drink coffee because it makes him sleepy
Financial and Data Analyst
- Worked part-time for BUENA during his Senior year at UCLA and trained with our product director and CFO
- Previously worked as a Financial & Data Intern at a Le Tremplin Incubator (Paris) startup
- Former UCLA Sigma Chi Social Chair and UCLA Rugby Team Member
- UCLA B.A. in Economics and a Minor in History
- Fluent in French and Russian
- Still going through his middle school dubstep phase
Marketing & Business Development Coordinator
- Spent nine months part-time while a Senior at UCLA before joining the team full-time.
- Previous Social Media and Marketing Intern for Abbot Kinney “First Fridays”
- UCLA B.A. in Sociology
- Studied International Studies at Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris
- Former VP of Marketing for Alpha Phi Sorority at UCLA
- Avid Earth, Wind & Fire Enthusiast
Investor, Interim CFO
UCLA School of Law CFO
- 2x Bruin graduate who works fervently to bridge the UCLA communities
- Formerly President of the UCLA Alumni Westside
- Currently oversees the $70 million budget and 200+ staff as the Assistant Dean of Operations for UCLA Law, a top 15 law school
- Paid speaker and coach delivering workshops on public speaking and networking
- Hands-on investor in BUENA advising and acting in matters of Finance and Operations
- Gave a talk to a crowd of 100 with his fly down once
Interim Director of Product
2x Founding Employee, 1 Exit
- Founding employee at SeatGeek, the first mobile ticketing app
- Over the six years of his tenure, SeatGeek grew from under 10 to over 300 employees
- Subsequently, Kevin became a shareholder, and traveled the world for a year before returning to embark on a new adventure with BUENA
- Prior to SeatGeek, Kevin led Product at Urban Mapping –a repository of “mapfluence” which supports geographic decision-making through analytic and visualization tools, later acquired by Maponics
- B.S. in Mathematics from Berkeley
- Self proclaimed pioneer in the art of making music out of a plastic noisemaker called the “vuvuzela”
User Acquisition & PR
2x Founder, 1 Exit
- Over eight years of PR experience and content marketing experience
- Expert in all things click-bait and growth-hacking
- Managing Partner at Press Friendly, specializing in PR for early stage startups
- Prior to Press Friendly and BUENA, Carly built the popular animal blog Featured Creature with over 600k uniques per month, and 200k followers across social media
- Leveraged her community to create and sell a consumer-product company
- Stephanie and Carly have been building brands together since 2014
- Holds a B.S. in Psychology from UCLA
- Wishes she could talk to animals
Additional Angel Investors
Partner at GV (Google Ventures)
- Co-Founded Google Venture’s partnerships practice in 2013, and continues to manage and connect the largest companies in the world with GV’s portfolio
- #IAmRemarkable Lead and Facilitator at Google. Leading a global initiative to empower women and underrepresented groups
- Executive Board Member for the CHOC Glass Slipper Guild
- Global Product Lead at Google Shopping
- Member of the Bindler Investment Group
Managing Director and Member of Golden Seeds
- Member and Managing Director of Golden Seeds, a network of angel investors dedicated to investing in early stage companies that are founded or led by women
- Global Business Executive and Advisor with more than 25 years of experience
- Former partner & COO of Taconic Capital Advisors L.P., one of the top 50 U.S. hedge funds, with $10 Billion in Assets under Management
- Previous CFO to former Chairman of the Export/Import bank
- Certified Corporate Director
- Self-taught expert at creating exquisite gift wrapped packages
Managing Director and Member of Golden Seeds
- Active Angel and Early Stage Investor
- Member of Golden Seeds, an angel group dedicated to investing in early stage companies that are primarily founded or led by women
- Former Broadcast Video Editor
- Founder of Spotlight Video Productions, providing videography, video editing, production crews, and servicing
- Was once locked outside a college dorm in Fairbanks, Alaska with bare feet at 20 degrees below freezing
Amy Smith Montoya
- Former VP of Finance and CFO that grew into role as President at Real Property Investment Services
- Executive Director of the John Maxwell Team
- Principal and Managing Partner at Bella Investment Group
- Committee Chair for the National Apartment Association
- Owner and investor in multiple businesses
- Leadership consultant, team builder, and facilitator
- Zalman holds an MBA and has over 15 years of experience in Social Impact and Nonprofit management
- Lecturer, influencer, and thought leader on discourse about values, spirituality, and living well in a modern world
- Producer of SMARTalk.tv, a weekly online show that meets at the cross-section of innovation, entrepreneurship, and values
- Zalman provides the BUENA office, allowing the team to keep costs lean
Financial and Data Analyst
- Prepare and present financial and budget forecasts and long-range planning related to BUENA’s products, marketing and other financials.
- Work with management to build financial and product plans and models to gain valuable insights to establish goals and measure company performance.
- Report and research variances between budget and actuals to improve future projections
- Produce action-oriented financial and product analysis to aid in critical decision-making about technical execution, complex problems and long-term investments.
- Prepare presentations using financial, market and product data for company fund-raising activities.
- Use accounting and financial models to provide estimates regarding valuations for fund-raising activities.
- Model and forecast balance sheets, income statements, SG&A and cash flow statements using product and market data.
- Develop data flows to output performance driving KPIs.
- Use sampling techniques and econometric models to conduct research, prepare reports, formulate plans to address economic problems related to the production and distribution of BUENA’s web extension and website/dashboard products.
- Analyze evolving micro and macro factors to create strategy to outperform competitors, target opportunities in the market and make strategic decisions to maximize return on investment.
- Lead a data-first approach to user research including A/B testing and multivariable market research using data collection and processing tools such as SQL language, Google BigQuery and Google Data Studio.
- Build insightful, recurring reports and dashboards that provide actionable takeaways (trends, issues, and opportunity recognition) using Powerpoint, Excel and Google Data Studio.
- Gather and analyze product launch results, identify trends, and make recommendations for product improvements.
- Use research and data analysis to advise management regarding product strategy including feature design, prioritization, and pricing.
- Analyze the market and find strategic ways to achieve competitive advantages over market players through pricing, product features, marketing and segmentation.
- Uncover new opportunities to grow and optimize the product and business through analytics, financial modeling, user research and business case development.
- Research, create and test designs and prototypes using Figma to develop a commercially and financially successful product.
- Conduct market and user research using sophisticated interviewing, polling and surveying techniques.
- Employ Agile/Sprint methodology (Github) to guide the team through rapid product development cycles.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in Economics, Business Administration or a closely related degree. Please email resumes and cover letters to: Stephanie, BUENA email@example.com